Sometimes as bloggers, we get the chance to interview an author but we don’t get the opportunity or the time to read their work. Here are a few generic questions to help bolster your interview.
- What inspired you to write a story about (whatever this book is about)?
- Was there anything you had to edit out of the story that you wish you could have kept?
- What are some writing rituals you go through before sitting down to write?
What was the main inspiration for the main character? Did s/he change over the course of writing the story?
- What was the weirdest thing you needed to research for the story?
- What was the first scene you thought of and how did you know that the story was worth exploring?
- What is your favorite scene and why?
- What books are on your nightstand? How long have they been there?
What was the book that made you a read? What was the book that made you a writer?
- If you can, who are you top five authors?
- What are your top five books?
- What are some books you’ve faked reading?
- What is one book you are an evangelical for?
- What books have you bought for the cover?
- What books, if any, did you hide from your parents?
- What are some of your favorite lines from books? (up to five)
- What book would you love to read for the first time again?
- Is there publishing professional (editor, marketer, designer, publicist, etc) who has influenced your writing life?