After escaping a harsh school where punishment was the lesson of the day, seventeen-year-old Louisa Ditton is thrilled to find employment as a maid at a boarding house. But soon after her arrival at Coldthistle House, Louisa begins to realize that the house’s mysterious owner, Mr. Morningside, is providing much more than lodging for his guests. Far from a place of rest, the house is a place of judgment, and Mr. Morningside and his unusual staff are meant to execute their own justice on those who are past being saved.
Louisa begins to fear for a young man named Lee who is not like the other guests. He is charismatic and kind, and Louisa knows that it may be up to her to save him from an untimely judgment. But in this house of distortions and lies, how can Louisa be sure whom to trust?
Roux uses language like Austen and plots like Brontë. House of Furies is simply amazing and if you think it isn’t up your alley-you’re wrong. Do not smile. Do not frown. Do not, under any circumstances, put this book down. Continue reading “House of Furies ★★★★★”
Some of them were sold out by 12:01pm. The autograph ticketing site opened at 12:00pm. That is insane.
In the mean time: Thought I’d let you guys know who I’m seeing and what panels I’m planning on squeezing into and maybe I’ll see some bloggers there?
- Kerri Maniscalco Signing
- Marissa Meyer Signing
- Victoria Aveyard Signing
- The Magic of World Building – Danielle Paige, Renee Adhieh, Marie Lu & Melissa de la Cruz
- Confronting Social Issues
- Magic with an Edge – Holly Black and Leigh Bardugo
- Find Your Voice – Sarah Dessen, Shannon Hale, Henny Han, and Morgan Matson
- A Spectrum of YA Authors
- Do You Ship This?
- BookTuber Booksplosion
- Bill Nye Signing
- Lemony Snicket Signing
- Books + YouTube = BookTube
- A Picture Tells 1,000 Words: Graphic Novels
- Real Science, Big Adventure: Bill Nye the Science Guy’s New Series for Kids
On Mother’s Day, my mom, gramma, sister, and I went to gardens in PA. I… may have wandered from my group and gotten lost. Not the point. Love these images and I’m totally using them as inspiration for a new story.
This story starts off pretty sad. On Wednesday, we found a box of kittens by the dumpster where I work. We brought them in from the heat, actually opened the can of food that had been left in the box, and gave them each a wash down since they were covered in their own feces. The secretary called for animal control to come pick them up, but I didn’t want them to go to a shelter. Although, two of them did.
While I washed the smallest one, he kept staring at me. So I send a bunch of pictures of him to fiancé and begged to bring him home. Truth be told I almost cried. We had a cat at work who had a whole litter in the wall and we struggled to find homes for them-I can’t stand the idea of homeless pets.
And so I brought Plumpkin home. Not a typo. We named him Plumpkin. Because he’s a plump little pumpkin. And I’m so giddy about my new adorable little cuddle buddy, I thought I’d introduce you guys to the reasons I don’t get work done.
Plumpkin loves to snuggle!
Belle gathers up all of her toys and hordes them on the couch… she cries if you take them.
Good morning, Plumpkin!
Luka is not a morning dog. This was her response when I said it was time to get up.
Belle likes to snuggle by pushing me off the couch.
Belle likes to curl up in tight little balls when she takes naps.
Plumpkin likes to climb up on me and my fiance and take naps on our shoulders.
Luka. Loves. Belly rubs.
I often roll over to find Luka has been watching me ever so impatiently…
Two posts in one day! Who knew that was possible?
In any case, BookCon is upon us. And I know I’ve shared a social badges post before but I really want this to catch on at BookCon. I’ve been to other cons where these are a thing and it really makes the experience that much easier ESPECIALLY if you have social anxieties. So please wear these if you need them and respect those who are wearing them this year.
Green: Talk to me! I like being social!
Yellow: I’m a little shy. Please let me start the conversation.
Red: Please do not talk to me.
Can I just say that I am STILL reading A Court of Wings and Ruin?
I probably read a chapter every few days. I don’t know how much of it is me and how much is the story. I’m just about halfway through and I feel like I haven’t seen much action since…
Let me add a read more-some people have read it yet.
Spoilers below! Continue reading “Slow Reader”
I want to thank Nadwa @PainfullyFictional for nominating me!
Rules for the Award:
- Thank the person who nominated you and link their blog
- Add the One Lovely Blog Award to your post
- Share 7 things about yourself
- Pass this on to as many people as you like (max 15)
- Include this set of rules
- Inform your nominees
7 Facts About Myself:
- I hated reading as a child.
- I had more than one teacher tell me that “college wasn’t for me.” I’m about to get my second masters (total I have a AS in Psychology, BA in Writing Arts, Specializing in Creative Writing & New Media Writing and Publication, Concentration in New Media Production, MA in Writing, and I’m working on an MFA in Writing for Children and YA).
- I’m eating BBQ chicken for breakfast.
- I love lattes. Especially iced vanilla lattes.
- I have three anxiety disorders and I ignore them through reading and writing!
- I’m getting married in October to the best man in the world! (He supports my book habit)
- Everything in my wedding is book themed.
With her last living breath, Tenley “Ten” Lockwood made her choice and picked her realm in the Everlife. Now, as the war between Troika and Myriad rages, she must face the consequences.
Because Ten possesses a rare supernatural ability to absorb and share light, the Powers That Be have the highest expectations for her future—and the enemy wants her neutralized. Fighting to save her Secondlife, she must learn about her realm from the ground up while launching her first mission: convincing a select group of humans to join her side before they die. No pressure, right?
But Ten’s competition is Killian, the boy she can’t forget—the one who gave up everything for her happiness. He has only one shot at redemption: beating Ten at a game she’s never even played. As their throw-downs heat up, so do their undeniable feelings, and soon, Ten will have to make another choice. Love…or victory.
I was not a fan of Firstlife. I only finished it so that I could review Lifeblood. And I have some thoughts on that too. Continue reading “Lifeblood ★★★☆☆½”
It’s Thursday again! Which means it’s time for Bring Your Own Book! Make sure to leave your answers in the comments.
Famous Last Words
Magdalyn Ann: “I admire your balls, Feyra–I really do. Or maybe it’s stupidity.”
-A Court of Thorns and Roses, Sarah J Maas, pg 86.
Here are the rules:
- I’ll post the goal. (Lines from an action movie, currency in a dystopia, etc)
- You post the answer and a citation. (The Hate U Give, Angie Thomas p19)
- You can play with ANY book! Fiction, non-fiction, YA, Adult, picture book, even a newspaper or a magazine.
- Borrow phrases or whole sentences-just make sure to cite it.
I had to stay home from work because…
WWW Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted on Taking On A World Of Words that asks you three very important questions:
- What are you currently reading?
- What did you finish reading recently?
- What do you think you’ll read next?
What Are You Currently Reading?
A Court of Wings and Ruin
Looming war threatens all Feyre holds dear in the third volume of the #1 New York Times bestselling A Court of Thorns and Roses series.
Feyre has returned to the Spring Court, determined to gather information on Tamlin’s maneuverings and the invading king threatening to bring Prythian to its knees. But to do so she must play a deadly game of deceit-and one slip may spell doom not only for Feyre, but for her world as well.
As war bears down upon them all, Feyre must decide who to trust amongst the dazzling and lethal High Lords-and hunt for allies in unexpected places.
In this thrilling third book in the #1 New York Times bestselling series from Sarah J. Maas, the earth will be painted red as mighty armies grapple for power over the one thing that could destroy them all.
FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELS! Continue reading “WWW Wednesday”